Sunday, April 8, 2012

Wicked Nopalitos Smoothie

Easter Sunday. HEB was closed. My typical grocery run was diverted to Fiesta. Somehow this peculiar vegetation landed in my shopping basket.

After a quick research, I identified the plant as Nopales -- young cladode part of a plant in the genus Opuntia (family cactaceae -- your typical cactus).

This may seem like the most typical veggie for native Texans, but I honestly had no clue what to do with it.

A good blender may solve every food-related problem.
So I chopped it up with a few celery stalks.
Put it in a blender with crushed pineapple, a few dashes of lime juice, and some orange juice. Hit "chop".


Results
Despite its strange appearance, this drink is surprisingly refreshing... perfect for a warm Texas afternoon on the balcony.
Also, because of the color, I think Glinda (Wicked) can best sum it up:
"unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe".


*If you wish to replicate this, please use your own imagination. No exact amount here. And please don't ask me for a recipe. Seriously, it's just a freakin smoothie.
Mini rant: I am against recipes. People should learn to use common sense when cooking (if they can cook at all). Here's my one and only one recipe for both cooking and life: If it tastes good and doesn't kill you, you're probably doing it right.










No comments: